Saturday, March 13, 2010

P-H-O-upside-down P . . .


Last Friday I went to Phoebe's class to read a Dr. Seuss book. Afterward she wanted to come to my class and "sit in your lap while you teach." Despite the fact that I almost never sit down while teaching and the fact that I didn't have any students in my classroom at the time, I brought her to my room as requested. She entertained herself by climbing on desks, erasing the board, and drawing on scraps of bulletin-board paper.

When the bell rang at the end of the day, some of my students arrived to work on a project. One of them has taken it upon herself to win Phoebe's trust. She walked over to where Phoebe was drawing on the floor, and in no time at all Phoebe was bossing her around, asking her to write her name.

"P-H-O," Phoebe instructed her, and then she faltered. "Upside down P," she continued. "E-E-B!"

End result: Phobeeb.

Not bad.

1 comment:

Alice said...

I know I'm late to this party, but I love it. Upside-down "p;" yup, that's accurate.