Saturday, December 13, 2008

Fireside Book of Folk Songs

Lately, Phoebe asks to read the Fireside songbook before bed. Sometimes we look for animals. There are two birds in the introductory pages that we especially like to talk about and a nice lobster across from "Cockles and Mussels."

She likes to turn the pages herself and demand, "Sing this one! Sing this one!" She doesn't understand, "I don't know that one," a response I remember finding very frustrating when I was a kid leafing through my parents Fireside songbook.

The other night she discovered "Oh, Susanna!" Big hit. She seems to like the fast ones now. I can't get more than the first few words of "Scarborough Fair" or "Au Clare de la Lune" out before she's saying, "No, Mommy. I don't like that." With "Oh, Susanna!" on the other hand, she asks me to sing it again and again, while she chimes in on the last word or so of each verse: ". . . on my knee," she'll sing with a big smile.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Having me comment is probably technically challenging and I apologize, in advance, if I destroy your entire blog by doing so - BUT - I just love it so much I couldn't help but try and participate.

When the Phoebe-girl gets to Pasadena, we'll have to record her singing Oh, Susanna!

But yes - we are curious about that trip to the ER so do explain.

Love,

GreatAuntieEm

Nota Bene said...

Remember when your shoulder was dislocated? (Mom told me about that today.) Subluxation is sort of like that except the bone becomes disassociated from ligaments rather than from a joint. Britt was trying to help her stand up when, in true toddler fashion, she went flailing into limp mode. It was terrible. But the way the doctor fixed it was the closest thing to miracle work that I've ever seen. Five minutes later, Phoebe was completely transformed from misery to calm.

I can't wait for the Pasadena sessions!

And, by the way, you posted like a pro!

Unknown said...

Hmm...I wonder if it's a family trait. They called it dislocation in the far away fifties, but I wonder. What you're describing is exactly what happened to me (only I think your Mom was trying to pull me up) - I know it happened more than once, but the second time, Grandma called the doctor and he explained to her how to set it back over the phone (yuck!).